Saturday, October 28, 2006

Slept quite well – probably something to do with the San Miguel and the home made bread sandwich. I was dozing when the postman knocked at 8.00 with a recorded delivery letter – Chris’s will from the bank. I expected that. What I didn’t expect was a new cheque book in a separate envelope. Then I realised that it was for our joint account and I thought this cheque book just had my name on it. That made me cry.

There was also a letter, a card and a poem in the post, which were all lovely – and Jimmy’s first University prospectus – coincidentally from the same university as the writer of the card!

Then I made myself grapefruit and apple juice and shredded the cover letter from the bank!

Today the Jenkins family is going to watch Northwich Victoria play Cambridge United in the FA Cup Qualifiers.

My Mum and Dad married in November 1946 after my Dad was demobbed having spent a year in Abyssinia (Ethiopia). He got a job at ICI in Northwich and I was born in Comberbach the third of four sister. I arrived before the midwife on a foggy January night, a very special story of my Dads.

So I have always had a soft spot for Northwich, Comberbach and Marbury Park. I buy free range eggs from Anderton in Asda!

Last Easter we were on a canal boat starting from Anderton and we went past the new Northwich Victoria Stadium. Chris and I got talking and I said that now Jimmy’s getting older and has his own social life, maybe we should start doing somethings differently – for example going to more football matches. Big stadiums are not easy to negotiate if you have limited mobility but Chris has always liked going to watch matches at smaller clubs.

Last season the Vics did well and got promoted to the Conference. A few weeks ago we were looking at the fixture list and thought the FA Qualifier against Cambridge would be a good match to go to.

So today I will do something I have never done before which is to go to a football match with my three sons. I hope the Vics win!

This is us last Easter going through Marbury Park, very close to the Northwich Victoria ground.