Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Officially four weeks now

Looking forward to when 6-7 on a Tuesday morning is just a time that you sleep through.

Thought this morning about Hef. He must have only been 16/17 when we first met him, an apprentice fitter down the pit, playing borrowed drums with Strad in Shotton. Living with us when he was a student and then the Rabs playing in our front room every Wednesday for years.

I remembered three years ago, sitting on Peri’s sofa whilst she told Aziz and Jamal that their father was dead. He was ten years younger than Chris and died at the age of 42 after playing a gig in Wrexham.

I didn’t go to the funeral as I was going to Slovenia and I remembered sitting in Ljubljana Cathedral and sobbing my heart out - then laughing with Hef at the statues of the Holy Roman Empire Bishops.

Since then Peri, Aziz and Jamal have become a bigger part of our lives. The boys stay with us frequently and today I look forward to walking up Moel Famau with them with Rob, Jimmy and Kipper and then to Peri’s for tea.

Picture of Hef and Chris playing in backroom circa 1979.



Looked at yesterdays blogg and thought how pompous I sounded. I will ask Alex for a reality check and stop this if I am making a fool of myself.