Friday, December 01, 2006

Someone wrote to me the other day about feeling like they were on a roller coaster and I replied that is exactly where I am in my life – an emotional roller coaster. Tonight was not hard – on a scale of things - I’m doing OK – but it was a hugely emotional evening – and I had one of those last night – and yes the night before!

But tonight - several factors – Nita and Neil’s 10th wedding anniversary held in the Sefton Cricket Club – I had been worried about other things so finding myself in the Cricket Club on a Friday night- I hadn’t really thought about that – I'd been there not so long ago at Chris’s funeral – so that added another layer of emotion – add-on good friends who haven’t seen me since the funeral – emotional!

Nita and Neil – well………………how do I start – going back to Jan – my life with Chris – the inter woven relationships etc etc - the strength of Nita – an extra-ordinary woman - Pat making a very moving speech – my Rob being amazing – Jim – and I hadn’t even thought of the Cricket Club thing!

Background – long and complex – Neil has Huntington's Chorea – a cruel disease which has robbed Nita’s lovely husband Neil of his ability to walk, talk and communicate.

Nita is amazing – she knows, lives with and triumphs over Neil’s viscous degenerative disease and the wonderful celebration of their 10th wedding anniversary – 20 years of being together (still ongoing at the Cricket Club) was fantastic.

On top of this I am going to Boston tomorrow.

But tonight I met again Nita’s friends and bingo partners – both wonderful widows in their 80’s – and as they topped up their orange juices with vodka from their handbags – they said to me “ You just have to get on with it girl!” and they are so right!