Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Learning Journeys

The Christmas party was good – though I had a couple of deep breath moments at the beginning with so many University people there – but as the afternoon went on I relaxed more – I was surrounded by my Team whom I think are just the most amazing, caring and classy bunch - they have been so incredibly supportive and are just so good at their jobs!

I met several people that I talked to at length - and when I woke up this morning - and thought through things - I made a big connection between my work and my life. At work we use the expression ‘Learning Journey’ to describe what we do – getting young people, their families and adult returners to see that they are on a Learning Journey and that they have choices.

What I realised this morning was that our lives are Learning Journeys – thinking back over the last three months I recognised how much I have learned from Chris’s death – about myself, about life and death - about what is important to me – and about what a steep learning curve it has been! I also see how lucky I have been with having Chris as a life partner and his legacy is what I have learnt over our time together, what his boys have learnt with having him as their father and what others who knew him, learnt from that opportunity. This blogg has been my record of this particular three month learning journey.

Someone said to me yesterday that I am very strong but in someways I don't think I am - I have been lucky with my teachers - my parents, Chris - and I am lucky that I have been open to learning - and I always knew that Chris had more to teach me than I could ever give him.

Rob's birthday today and I will now run Jim into school - where I don't think he is doing a lot of learning - but am less worried about this as he has been set a strong course for his learning journey by his father and he too is a good learner!