Thursday, November 30, 2006

DaDafest dinner

It’s late on Thursday night and I have just come back from the DaDafest Dinner. When I went back to work last Wednesday I found an invite from the Government Office and I thought it would be a good way to meet a lot of people I know in an informal setting – and it was. The meeting people I expected and that was good – not easy but OK – people are still shocked to see me – but I am coping better with the surge of emotion that other peoples emotions evokes. It is hard but also lovely – deep breath – and I can cope – usually.

My host Richard has been where I am and it was good to talk. We discussed the comparative merits of a terminal illness over several months compared to a sudden death like Chris’s – only the kind of conversation you can have when you are a member of the club!

What I hadn’t expected was such a strong feeling of moving on - tonight I also saw many people from my past and recognised some of my own legacy. That sounds pretentious but this week - with going back to work I am asking myself the question where will I be in five years? – what do I want to do? – how can I contribute? And tonight just re-enforced that – looking back over my life – all those bin bags of paper that I recycled last week – that’s what I’ve done - what am I going to do in the future? This is also in the context of going to Boston on Saturday – my professional world is full of opportunity – this is exciting and also scary - because I'll have to do it own my own now.

DaDafest is something else and Anne the bread maker won the new Media Award which was great – congrats Anne!

On a domestic front I managed to burn a pan of boiled potatoes for Jim’s tea – now that is unbelievable!