Friday, November 24, 2006

Gilly was unwell so Friday night out on Lark Lane was cancelled – so Rob and I went to Smithdown and had a very pleasant few pints – and talked deeply and it was very good.

Jim has now gone out for the night with his mates – and he told me they were planning to go down town. I’m glad he told me – but at the same time I am on my own worrying about him – though I recall my own adolescence and the difference is – I don’t think I ever told my Mother what I was doing at 16 – though like Jim I was the third child and parents do gain some immunity as their children do things which are worrying.

So a different Friday night again – if Chris was here he would have given me some reassurance but in the same way Jim has to do things on his own – so must I.

When Rob and I were in the pub we met someone from the University – whom I assume would have known about Chris ‘cos we work quite closely with his Department - but he didn’t know and asked questions - and then he told us about how he had lost his Dad very suddenly – watching a cricket match at 54 – when he had just started his PhD – it made me think about my boys and I talked with Rob about it – because 30+ years later he could still recall his devastation very clearly. I keep having these moments of insight into other people’s lives.

I am very tired tonight – three days at work – clearing out my office was just enough – I think I will have a herbal tea and hopefully that combined with beer will make me sleep!