Monday, November 20, 2006

My second to last day before going back to work has been OK – still sorting – today re-cycled all Chris’s files – some shredded - the rest paper waste. Also decided to find new homes for Chris’s instruments - Jim will talk to a couple of guitar playing friends tomorrow but we will take professional advice re the alto sax – French and over 50 years old – I want it to go to someone who appreciates the subtleties of these things.

The back room is looking lighter – still messy but it’s almost echoey in here now.

I have just looked back at my list of things to do before going back to work and they were:
Reading several books cover to cover,
Being able to watch/listen to the news,
Buying a newspaper and reading more than the sudoku,
Sleeping better,
Going to the supermarket and doing a proper weekly shop

I have now read 4 books – slow but getting there.
Watch/listened to the news though still switch off more than I used to.
I buy newspapers and have read more than the sudoku – though still do the sudoku.
Sleeping better but not brilliantly – wake up and usually go back to sleep though sometimes it takes a while – I can see the time so clearly with the giant digital display of new CD/radio!
Result Jim and I went to Tescos tonight and did a good shop - also cooked a great stir fry c.f. last night’s culinary disaster!

My new life involves shopping and cooking – the weird thing is that I used to do all the shopping and cooking but over the years Chris took over both. He was brought up in the strong Geordie tradition that men didn’t go into the kitchen but over the years we evolved roles – when the boys were young I would cook and Chris would tell the boys brilliant bedtime stories and afterwards together we would wash up.

Over the last few years my favourite has been the pizza – Chris would make the dough – roll it out onto the various trays, shop for all the special bits and prepare them and I would come home from work and do Chris a favour by putting them all together – easy peasy!

I will look up the pizza dough recipes – we have all the trays including the soapstone from Finland – and dial a pizza is a ridiculous price!

Today I also enjoyed Sophie’s blogg from Germany – Sophie you and Adam must come to Liverpool and have a pizza – get Jenko to sort out a date!