Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Thinking through Good/Bad Days

Back home after a busy evening – went to see my brother-in-law Ali after his operation – he looked good and seems well on the way to recovery – it was lovely to see Ali as I hadn’t seen him since the 60th Wedding Anniversary Weekend. He has had a lot of stress this year as two of his brother-in-law died suddenly – his sister’s husband Aubrey died last February. He said I looked good and I did have a little weep - but as he said it was also another first – first time for me to be back in a hospital – all be it a different one. But the hospital memories were strong tonight.

Thought about the Good Day/Bad Day thing on the drive back and then re-read some of my blogg.

… and what I have got out of this thinking is Good Day/Bad Days are relative.

Today was a Bad Day – I was wobbly at work – struggled to concentrate – but controlled it - still did my job – actually did some good stuff. The Bad Day was relative – I couldn’t have focussed for 20 seconds in the early days and wasn’t really working coherently before Christmas.

… and I also thought that had Chris been around I would still have had a Bad Day at work and struggled to concentrate – I also think that I am much more aware of my state of mind at the moment.

What I do miss is having my safety valve at home – Chris – and I suppose this Bad Day has been building up all week and I haven’t been able to say ‘You know what Chris I’m having a bad week at work this week!’ To which he would have replied ‘Get your priorities right – Newcastle is currently being beaten 3:1 by Birmingham’ – current score as I type!

So where does this get me – I’m doing OK – looking back to where I’ve been - Chris would have been proud of me!

Everyone has Bad Days – particularly in the third week in January and particularly just before their Birthday – so don’t take it personally.

Accept the Bad Days – they will pass – and as Trish said to me today at work. I need to accept that I have a way to go – and as the days get better – the days that are bad shouldn’t be blown out of proportion.

So let’s hope tomorrow is a better day!