Monday, May 11, 2015

Newcastle letter - out of sequence


Newcastle
Tricia 23 April 2015

Dear Mum

It was just lovely to speak to you on your birthday and I had updates and photos from Jenny,Fiona and Sophie and it sounded like you had a glorious time - I am so pleased.

I have been having adventures here in Newcastle, New South Wales. Stephanie and I arrived on Monday morning for a three day workshop and it was raining quite heavily. However no-one anticipated the storm that then happened over the next three days - it was enormous! As you can see - the Storm of the Century was how the papers described it!

Sadly the workshops had to be cancelled as everywhere had to close down and the roads were impassable. The storm raged for over 36 hours, we lost power in the hotel but we had candles and torches . We were fine - the hotel really took care of us - providing food whilst we all waited for the storm to die down. I have never seen such winds and rain - some of the gusts were classed as Cyclone 3 level winds - so I suppose quite close to a hurricane . We could see the sea from our hotel room and it was wild.

Yesterday we went for a walk around the area and there were lots of trees down and the sea and clouds were spectacular.
   
We met up with some people yesterday afternoon and we are going to the University this morning for a meeting and then will fly back to Melbourne this evening. I am speaking at another Workshop in Melbourne on the 8th of May and some of the people who were going to be coming to this one will now attend the other one - and who knows maybe they will ask me back again!

I am thoroughly enjoying my time in Australia and have met some really delightful people and can see me doing some more work here in the future. I didn’t really anticipate that but life is such an adventure!!!

Lots and lots and lots of love my lovely Mum - I do miss you. 

Tricia xxxxxxxxxx