Sunday, May 17, 2015

AHMEDABAD 2


Dear Mum

I have been in India a couple of days now and it has a time and pace that is so very different from Europe…. magical, dusty, beautiful, crazy…. it is difficult to find the right words! The country teems with people, sights, sounds, colours and the heat - it is 30 degrees in the morning and mid 40s in the  afternoon !!!!! I am coping quite well in the heat, I put factor 50 cream on my face, wear light full length clothes , drink lots of water and just keep in the shade! 

We have been travelling around visiting Artisans in rural villages which has been amazing. My friends work with craftspeople and their villages - so they have been visiting them for meetings etc - it has been wonderful for me as the children and the villagers have seen very few, if any white people , and I am regarded with great interest. There is usually one of the older children who  can speak some English and I just love to talk and laugh with the children. The women are shyer to start with but then they too come round and want to ask me questions. They have mobile phones with cameras - and they want to take pictures of me  - they might live in very basic houses but they use Facebook and modern technology at the same time as following very ancient crafts and traditions     

The roads are a mixture  - in the city they are jammed packed with cars, auto rickshaws, lorries, buses, motorbikes, pedestrians and cows! In the villages less traffic but but herds of goats, sheep, water buffaloes and more cows of course! The other night when we went out for dinner we met an elephant walking along the road - it is trained to put its trunk into car  windows and take money!

This is my favourite photo - you have to look hard to see me in the middle of all the children!

Hope all is well with you my lovely Mum - look after yourself  and lots and lots and lots of love      

Tricia xxxxx