Monday, March 30, 2015

Melbourne #3


Dear Mum

It’s Monday morning and I’m back in Melbourne after the festival - it was an amazing weekend. We travelled for about an hour outside the city to a campsite on a peninsular, there was a festival site in the centre and we camped under very tall trees. There were lots of birds with a dawn chorus like nothing I have ever heard. The only one I recognised was the kookaburra, it really does laugh in a loud strident voice!

There was 1,500 women at the festival, of all ages from tiny babies to women 10/20 years older than me. I was staying in Stefanie’s caravan which was very comfortable, all mod cons! The festival was a mixture of workshops, ceremonies, music and dancing - and I loved it!!!!

The weather was very variable - we had an amazing storm on the first night with the trees really swaying and the rain pounding on the roof of the caravan, it was very exciting. Over the three days the weather improved and on the last day it was glorious and we all sat basking in the sunshine, with drummers and dancers all around us, it was a special few days and a lovely welcome to Australia.
I have found the time difference quite strange, to be waking up in the morning and to think about you getting ready to go to bed, very odd! I seem to have coped with the jetlag very well, woken up in the night a few times but have mainly gone back to sleep quite easily.

I have started to do a little bit of work this morning, planning a conference that I will be involved in later in April, I have felt very welcomed and it does feel really nice to be here. I have some meetings tomorrow and then on Thursday I will be doing a workshop with quite a few people. I haven’t prepared my presentation yet but I will do that tomorrow. This afternoon I'm going to take the tram down to St Kilda beach on my own, so that will be an adventure. I haven’t seen anything of Melbourne yet and this will be my first opportunity.

Here are a couple of photos of the festival! Thinking of you often and sending you very much love my lovely mum....

Tricia xxxxxxxx