Sunday, April 12, 2015

Still in Melbourne

Dear Mum
How are you? I heard from Jenny that you had a sore eye, I hope it is all cleared up now. You will soon be off to London for your birthday weekend, I will think about you and I’m sure you will have a wonderful time.
I am now staying at my friend Stephanie’s house, it's in the suburbs of Melbourne but I will be going back to Kerry’s tomorrow.  I am enjoying being a guest and have been made so very welcome .
On Friday morning I went to Melbourne Museum and was particularly interested in the galleries which told the stories of the aboriginal  people. There was a very poignant  memorial to the children who had been taken forcibly from their own families and put into white families. It is amazing to think that this continued right up to 1969. Before I left  Liverpool I had gone to an exhibition in the Maritime Museum about British children that has been sent out to Australia and that too had continued into the 60s.  Made me think how lucky I was  to have been brought up in my lovely family. 
On Friday evening we went to a drum circle and I took my singing bowls. It took place in a lovely little cottage up in the mountains, which are not too far away from here.  We sat in a circle and everybody played  their drums , I played my bowls  and we sang.  It was a very special and rather magical evening. 
We haven’t really done very much else this weekend , just pottered about, but as Stephanie is such a dear friend this was  perfect.  She has gone to watch her son Adam play Australian rules football so I'm now in the house on my own, writing letters. 
Here’s a picture of me on the deck yesterday doing my knitting. I'm making a cardigan and these are the sleeves so not too far to go now!
The weather is still very changeable here but I think that is typical for autumn in Melbourne .  The light is also very different from the UK even when it’s overcast the light has an intensity which can be quite dazzling!
I will send this letter via Jenny as I think Claire’s printer is still out of action. Hope you enjoy London, and please give my best to all the family.
With very much love from your galavanting daughter down under!
Tricia   
xxxxxxxxx