Friday, March 28, 2008

A long day of thinking - and a good book

I got back tonight late after not getting the job. Feel pretty jaded but strangely not because I didn’t get it - I sat in the middle of the interview thinking - I don’t really want to do the sorts of things they were asking me about - and dinner later on confirmed my gut feeling - but what the whole process has left me with is a strong sense of - Well – what do you want to do then!

I had seen the post as an opportunity for me to do more of the things I am committed to doing but in a bigger setting – but the actual job wouldn’t have been that. I’ve had a lot of time to think today – as I had to stay over to Friday as the successful candidate attended a board meeting today – so I had booked on a late flight the day after the interview. I finally heard at 10 this morning, that I hadn’t got the job so I went to Amsterdam - tried to buy a new outfit for Sophie’s wedding but ended up walking/tramming miles and thinking about things.

I also must have passed almost every hotel/restaurant/memorable Chris location in Amsterdam – it was that sort of day - we went quite a few times just Chris and I, but also with the boys and friends including 17 of us for Chris’s 50th Birthday.

So a long - and in many ways - a boring day – but a day when I didn’t get a job but also one which has made me quite glad that I didn’t get it – but a day that also gave me a lot of time to think about what do I want to do now. I also had a wonderful book that I had bought in the aiport on the way out - about India - it gave me the best bits of my day.

Back home – in my own bed – with a glass of wine, a large camomile tea AND a hot water bottle – I am so very happy to be home – I’m glad I applied for the post – I think that as a widow of 18 months – to have made a realistic application is a pretty good mind set – I’m genuinely glad I didn’t get it because I don’t think it would have been right for me – BUT it has raised the big question – one which all of us face - but circumstances make us comfortable and so we don’t address it – what am I going to do with the rest of my life?

Anyway got home – Jim’s round at Joe’s – pile of letters including a string of Nepalese prayer flags from my sister Jenny – I will put them on a pole in the garden - that's a good thing to do.

Feeling happy - a combination of blogging my thoughts and being comfortably at home – the epicentre of my life/world - doesn't answer the question of what I'm going to do with the rest of my life - but makes me appreciate what I have got!