Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday

So a busy week – work is becoming more normal in the post Chris world – it is different and I’m happy about that – I am also busy which is good – being quite fussy about what I go to/get involved with – which is also good.

Went to Brussels with Margaret this week – and had very interesting conversations with people at the Commission about a bid I’m involved in – I now know all about a specific streams of research funding and WBCs (West Balkan Countries) – which really was a first! The word 'Anorack' comes to mind!

Found Speke and Amsterdam Airports really hard – Chris and I started/finished so many holidays there – also Chris had his ‘surprise’ 50th birthday in Amsterdam - really glad Margaret was there as I did have a couple of wobbles – although I get less of these on a daily basis they still knock me when I get them. But felt another set of firsts under my belt.

Jim has had his exam results and the school are not putting him in for his ASs this year. We have talked and I think he is relieved – he has been trying to work but he has just found it too hard to focus and catch up – I also think he was relieved to think that he’s not going to be leaving for university in 18 months time – I think this has been worrying him – for himself but also for me.

This weekend he does seem a lot lighter now that the decision has been made – he is going to stay at school and attend all the classes and then next year restart Physics and Maths and at that point decide what else he does.

I am happy about this – it just takes the pressure off (both of us). He can have a year out of exams – yet still have the structure of going to school – giving him time to just relax, grow up, have a social life and work out how he lives his life post Dad. Rob reminded me that Chris also resit a year after his Dad died which I had forgotten.

Yesterday Alex was home on his way to walking in Grenoble, the boys came for the night and Gilly and I watched some telly and drank some wine. Today went running – Debs at work is getting everyone to do the 5k Run For Life – which I am happy to do – I have also decided that I wont do the 10k.

After the boys went I have been trying to sort out the garden - Rob has done lots of chopping and power jetting – and I had a go this afternoon – still looks like work in progress at the moment.

The garden has always been a special place for us – 28 years of kids playing there – barbeques with friends – just sitting out and enjoying the sunshine – and now Chris dying there.

I am not a gardener – I have always just tried to make it a place to be happy in – and over the years we have been very happy out there. It’s only small – more of a yard than a garden – but we have use it well and it has been a very happy place.

So am now quite knackered what with running and gardening so after this blogg – I will have a long bath with lots of bubbles and then Jim and I will have tea. Looking back over the five months – meals and Sundays have been pretty hard and sometimes very painful. But today I am writing my blogg after a busy day – Jim is watching the rugby after having been out at a party last night and is pretty chilled. I will cook tea – fish and we will be good. That’s a result!

Yesterday Alex was home and I had all three of my lovely boys for breakfast – and we did the quiz – we got 11/15 – from my recollection this is the best score we have ever got – the Jenkins are doing well! I didn’t know that a Amsterdam Sloth was a Koala – but I guessed it – inspiration!

And the week after next I am going to India – wow!