Friday, November 21, 2014

I am now a grandmother!

My teeny tiny little granddaughter Alba was born last Sunday.

She weighed in just over 2 1/2 pounds - 1.225 kg, the smallest baby that I have ever seen.

She was born at 33 weeks and five days, Lara had a Caesarean because the baby was not growing properly.

So a rather fraught weekend. It ended up as a really intense but a really special weekend.

Rob was home for Neil's funeral, and it felt very good that he was home. We ended up spending the Sunday afternoon with Pat and Nita - waiting to hear from Alex, knowing that the baby was being born that afternoon, and being very close, planning the details of the funeral and reminiscing, telling stories - a very special afternoon. Then we heard that the baby had been born and that everyone was okay.

The funeral was on the Monday, it sound strange to say - but it was an excellent -  really special -  I went to Paris on the Wednesday and have been there since, but tonight I am in Milan, on my way tomorrow to Medellin.

This blog is a bit  - all over the place - I tried to think  of another way of saying it: basically I think it is reflecting an amazing, emotional and special week.

Feeling very tired - and coming to the realisation that I am a grandmother1