Thursday, July 24, 2008

Still in Germany

At the end of a very long day – and after a week of being a student which has left me either over confident or just not concentrating – because twice today I have got the tram in the wrong direction - the last time left me at 11.45 at night – in Uber somewhere – which in the pitch dark looked and felt like Uber Nowhere – and I finally worked out that I had got off the last tram of the night! Bit scary but finally found my way - very dark - very quiet - to a bus stop - where a bus magically appeared and after a strange conversation in German - I was back en route to the hotel - passing a sign which said 8km Kassel! - the bus took me - the only passenger on it - round the backstreets of Kassel hinterland – sleeping with all its lights off - before finally getting back to the station - my drop off point for the hotel - I was very relieved to get back here - two hours after I left the restaurant!

Had a weird day – course going well – we – the students are being quite critical of the teaching styles – it’s being run by academics who know their stuff but present it in a somewhat uninspiring manner – I’m not certain that this isn’t just the German method of teaching – but the Dutch and Danish are very critical – I’m just enjoying being a student – and asking difficult questions!

In another completely different way – today’s Lecturer was a bit disconcerting. I have had not had a lot of ‘Seeing Chris’ moments –since he died – a couple – but today as I sat listening to this guy from the Netherlands talking – I became increasingly struck how he had similarities with Chris physically – he was a man about the same age – but he had similarities of build and hair and skin, eyebrows – he didn’t ‘look’ like him – but I don’t know if I have ever seen anyone who ‘resembled’ Chris so much – it was weird. I had to make a conscious decision not to be upset about it - and I wasn’t but I knew I wanted to tell someone – so I have blogged it!

Anyway it’s getting late and I have to be up early to pack and checkout before another couple of sessions before getting the train to another obscure bit of Germany to get home - obviously thinking a lot about Jimmy – also travelling – as he managed to lose his mobile at Benicassim I am relying on Jan, Barney’s Mum for updates on their travels!

Mantra strong - how lucky am I!