Sunday, September 23, 2007

A year on weekend

Doing OK – very aware of last year’s weekend. Doing very similar things – had the boys for the weekend – they’ve just gone. Rob’s watching football in the pub – last year he watched with Chris. Gilly, Rob, Jim and Les coming round for Sunday tea – last year it was just us – but we will be sitting round the same table – eating, laughing and drinking wine – just the same but different – no Chris. I have had a year to get used to not having Chris around and I can’t say that I don’t miss him because I do – everyday – BUT he would be proud of us because we haven’t moped and given into it – we have just got on with re-building our lives.

Things that are different a year on – went to see my Mum and Dad yesterday – Mum is 87 and Dad is 90 – they are coping very well but noticeably frailer a year on. They have had a sad week or two with several deaths of friends and neighbours including Rosie the dog. They really miss Rosie – she was about 15 years old – and although she had some irritating habits – like barking a lot – she filled their house and has left a big gap.

Alex is somewhere walking down Kilimanjaro – he and his three friends walked through the night on Thursday and were at the summit on Friday morning! We’ve been watching the weather on the web cam:

http://www.kilicam.com/

He should be down tomorrow or Tuesday and is then going for a few days safari. He will be returning to Lara his Spanish girlfriend – so things are very different for him a year on.

Rob has a new job which he is enjoying – doesn’t know what he wants to do in the long term – but he’s doing well – I know he is thinking about Chris a lot at the moment. He is so lovely and has been so supportive for me and Jim – popping round, checking on us – he’s going to come round tomorrow as I will be off work for a couple of days. My hope is that he can believe in himself more as he should!

My little Jimmy – now towering over me – he has grown a lot this year and is walking tall. He’s re-sitting his Year 12 and has three friends in the same position – which is good - he’s doing his homework as I write and seems much happier in himself – America was good for him – gave him more confidence.

And me… well I went for a run this morning with my lovely Kipper - he’s sleeping it off at my feet! Met my good friend Jan and had a lovely long conversation – I have been so lucky this last year – so many people thinking about me, caring for me, listening to me. I feel that now I’m a year on I need to be doing more listening – I have been so self obsessed this last year. I don’t feel guilty about that but I do think it is time to move on.

So a year on and all doing well – thanks to my many friends, colleagues and family – you’ve all been so fantastic to us all – we’ve done it well and you’ve been there for us – all along the way.