Thursday, June 04, 2015

On the road 1


Dear Mum

Hope you are well and happy - it is lovely to think that I will see you next weekend - I will ring you on my return and sort out the best time to come over! I will be full of traveler tales and I am looking forward very much to seeing you all!

I have been on the road again for a couple of days and it was an amazing trip. We went up North to a region called the Kutch District - it is a desert region and we drove through miles of barren land with strong winds and sandstorms. We called into various villages and met some students who had been working with local Artisans - it was fascinating as I was welcomed into people’s homes and saw their way of life from the inside.

There were two languages being spoken Hindi the national language of India and Gujarati the State language - Kathan translated for me - and sometimes I just played with the children in a kind of sign language - with the odd English word. It was a truly wonderful experience as you will see from these photos. These boys showed off their cricket skills to me!

In this village they live in the traditional round houses - they invited me in a showed me around. The women were quite shy but smiled with me, the men were very hospitable and the children were delightfully laughing and curious about this red faced white woman! They always made us Chai tea which I have got a real taste for - they make it in a big metal pot on an open fire and then pour out into little ceramic cups which they present quite formally on a tray.

We stayed in a traditional centre and here was my bedroom for the night, I love Indian food - especially the thali - plate of food which I ate with roti bread and delicious fresh mango juice and buttermilk.

Lots of love and see you soon Tricia xxxxxxxxx