Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Different sort of summer

.... with elements that are the same. This is my second Chris-less summer and it has been a nice mixture so far. Two years seems such a long time - yet in some ways no time at all and still a tiny fraction of the time I was with Chris.

We always did holidays - usually for three weeks in the summer and always independent travelling - I've not yet risked going away for three weeks - but maybe next year.

But going away with different people is fun and I particularly enjoyed Franja's company - it was a difficult summer for her - first holiday on her own with her son Jan, since her divorce - and I felt our company helped - we also talked loads and got to know each other really well - which was lovely. I also do love the Croatian islands so much - I had chosen one we'd never been to before - but I still had a few 'Chris moments' - because he too loved the islands - and we did have such happy times there. Particularly Chris's last holiday with Paul and Sue, overlapping with Jimmy and three of his mates.

Rob joining us was also great - and we had the opportunity to talk which - we haven't always been able to do - so that was also a real bonus. It's funny how things work out though - as I was determined to hire a boat - and to do it on my own - but eventually it didn't happen - despite having been booked in advance - and in many ways it felt right that I will do that 'first' another year.

I have also made an important decision this summer. I have decided that I do not want to spend the rest of my life on my own. I'm definitely not going to rush into a new relationship - don't think I could yet anyway - but an important first step is to recognise the fact that I do - at some time in the next few years - want to find a new partner.

Big breath - big decision - makes me feel a bit panicky - but I have started testing out the idea with friends and family - but most importantly with my own head!

So I have decided that over the next year that 'I would be willing to be invited out to dinner' - so I've now told my blogg - still a very scary concept though!